Disabled American Veterans

Blind Veterans National Chapter #1

WEB SITE: http://www.davbvnc1.com/contents.htm

May-June 2016 Newsletter

Editor: Dennis OíConnell

Email address: bvnc1@optonline.net







Commander James Hogan (CA)

Phone 661 251 7870 email: ja2paroses@aol.com

Senior vice commander: Ron Lester (AZ)

1st Junior vice Commander David May (PDC, PC) (OH)

2nd Junior vice Commander Leonard Pope (NJ)

3rd Junior Vice Commander Dennis OíConnell (PC) (NY)

4th Junior vice Commander Robert Abshire (CO)

Judge Advocate Richard Bugbee (PC) (AZ)

Chaplain Rev. Tony Martino ( PDC) (IL),

Phone 847 736 2111, email: deaconmartino@gmail.com

Adjutant/Treasurer Paul Kaminsky (ret. Cmdr.) (FL) (also webmaster),

Phone 904 291-0576, email: pkjax@kaminsky.com

Immediate Past Commander deceased Carroll Prosser (PDC) (SC)


PLEASE, if you know of any member who is sick or deceased inform one of the officers whose contact information is listed above ASAPP.





Hello Blind Vets, Family & Friends,

The warm weather is starting up for most of us.Thoughts summer are on the horizon, Timefor more outdoor activities. You might want to check out your local VA recreational therapist or voluntary services for their schedule.†† Your closest DAV chapter just might have some fun stuff going on. Also it is time to make plans to be in Atlanta for our National Convention.

I suppose what I am trying to tell you is, get out and enjoy all life that has to offer.I look forward to getting my travel gear ready to go and seeing you all in Atlanta!

Stay Cool,


Part 2-Deaf-Blind Access Technologies and Strategies Out of Sight or Out of Sound: There Is Always a Way--Living with a Secondary Hearing Impairment By Deborah Kendrick, AFB'S "


In addition to the earbuds included in the purchase with most smartphones, there are a number of high performance wired and Bluetooth headsets to augment volume and clarity. Look for ones with inline volume controls.

Direct ConnectionsIn addition to the variety of external speakers and headsets designed to enhance sound for everyone, the person who wears hearing aids has even more options for a direct connection to sound. From wearables to mini microphones, the hearing health marketplace is exploding with a smorgasbord of direct connection devices.

Want to be sure you hear every word of a movie playing on your television? There is a device that can plug into the auxiliary port on your TV and deliver its audio directly into your hearing aids. The same technology can be used for direct delivery of sound from virtually any electronic device in your home or work environment.

Want to be sure you hear everything a presenter has to say? Ask him or her to clip a small microphone-like device to a jacket (or wear it around the

neck) and every word will sound as though it is being spoken directly into your ear. Again, the same device could be used by a friend or family member walking with you through a mall or amusement park. Even though he or she is

20 feet away, with a direct-connect FM or Bluetooth device in hand, all commentary regarding the route you are taking or the description of sights around you will be easily heard and understood.

The guidance of an audiologist will be needed to select the best wireless hearing accessory, and to make sure that one is selected that is compatible with your particular hearing aids. You will also need the assistance of an audiologist or other hearing professional to pair your new accessory appropriately with your hearing aids. Phonak makes several excellent accessories but there are other manufacturers as well.

Sometimes, tweaking your hearing technology to play nicely with your vision technology can be a challenge, but as more people experience a combined vision and hearing loss, the larger the pool for sharing tips and tricks becomes. The bottom line is, just as you learned that life can be lived to the fullest without perfect vision, so you will also learn in time that impaired hearing can be accommodated with technology.

Whether out of sight or out of sound, there is always a way!




To All Members,

After our phone discussion yesterday regarding guide dogs being attacked by other so called service animals on VA property,I called the Kathy Treadwell, the GLA Chief of Police.After a lengthy discussion of the situation where Hoosier was attacked by an aggressive boxer that a female veteran in a wheelchair claims is her service dog.Here is the recommendation on what one should do when faced with the situation on VA premises.

1. Remove yourself and your guide from the incident area.

2. Call the VA Police ( program the local VA police number into your cell phone so that you have it handy)

3. When the officer arrives be aware that without their actually seeing the attack or the absence of any marks, there is not much they can do.However, you can file a complaint with the officer.Make sure you also have witnesses to the incident.

Or 4. Have the officer escort you to the location of the aggressive animal.Hopefully the animal is still there and reacts to your guide with the same aggressive behavior. Once this behavior is observed by the officer, then they will make a criminal incident report and will insist that the person remove the aggressive animal from the VA property.

In addition, the individual will be informed that if another incident occurs with the same animal they will be notified in writingthat the animal is permanently banned from the VA property.

Hopefully this information will help us to make the VA a safer place for our guides dogs.


Free Record Retrieval


Veterans and retirees who served on active duty or in the reserves and their family members are eligible to receive a variety of service-related documents for free. It's just a matter of knowing how.

Records and other documents are available from Human Resources Command, Department of Veterans Affairs, National Archives and other official government sources.

Because the documents are provided free to those qualified to receive them, there is no reason to get them from commercial firms that charge fees, according to Army & Air Force officials.

A good first stop for information on how to get veteran service documents is HRCís Human Resource Service Center at 1-888-276-9472 or DIN 983-9500, or email at ask-hrc@us.army.mil.

Veterans can receive a copy of a lost DD Form 214 by submitting a request on a SF Form 180. Veterans who were never issued a DD Form 214 can request an issuance, provided there is enough information on file.

If there is not enough information in the record, HRC will issue a Transcript of Military Records (DA Form 1569) or a Statement of Service (AHRC Form 2496-E).Both documents are authorized replacements for DD Form 214.

While HRC can verify a veteranís military service, requests for veteran benefits eligibility should be directed to a local Veterans Benefits Administration office, or the Department of Veteran Affairs.

One of the most popular benefits is the VA Home Loan. To qualify, veterans must provide proof of service to the VA with such documents as the DD Form 214, a Chronological Statement of Retirement Points (AHRC Forms 249-E or DARP 249) or the National Guard Bureau Retirement Credits Record (NGB Form 23).

Officials recommend that requests for proof of service be submitted to HRC at the same time a veteran contacts a mortgage company. Processing can take 30 to 45 days. Requests should be submitted on a SF 180 or a signed and dated letter.




VA Hospitals | Ratings, Care Outcomes, Performance Data





REMBER: Always Ask for Your Veterans Discount